setting up cable internet connection

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 25 21:34:57 UTC 2004

John Lagrue wrote:
> Travis Fraser wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 2004-03-24 at 19:42, Alimin Bijosono Oei wrote:
>>
>>> I am thinking of getting a broadband cable connection because this is
>>> the only broadband connection available at my place. Just want to
>>> know from others' experience how easy it is to set this up in Fedora?
>>> I checked the internet configuration wizard tool, but couldn't see
>>> any option for cable connection i.e. options available are CIPE (VPN)
>>> connection, Ethernet connection, ISDN connection, Modem connection,
>>> Token Ring connection, Wireless connection and xDSL connection. Are
>>> there any issues with cable modem compatibility? I am living in
>>> Australia and cable internet provider will be Telstra. I would really
>>> appreciate any help provided. TIA
>>

>> My cable modem just hooks into the NIC in my computer via an ordinary
>> ethernet cable.
>>

> Same here. It gets its IP adress via DHCP from the ISP. The computer
> neither knows nor cares that it's communicating via a cable modem; it's
> just using eth0.

Yup.  Just configure eth0 to use DHCP and "it just works" for most cable
modems.  If you want a router so others can share, set up the router to
DHCP it's WAN address from the cable modem and set up the router's DHCP
to serve 192.168.0.* to your local machines.  You could also set up
fixed IPs on the local side of the router and use port forwarding to get
at your local machines from the outside (I do that to access my home
machines from the office, 3Com cable modem and D-Link DI614+ router).
- Real Time, adj.: Here and now, as opposed to fake time, which only -
-                        occurs there and then                       -