setting up cable internet connection

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Mar 25 23:40:51 UTC 2004

David Fletcher wrote:
> I'm using NTL in the UK. The cable modem supplied has both USB and ethernet
> sockets so of course I use ethernet.
>
> I did have problems for a while, connecting the PC directly into the cable
> modem. Worked OK at first, then the printer stopped working, which I suspect
> was something to do with NTL messing about with DHCP settings.
>
> Bought a router, the Belkin cable/DSL router, which has a built in DHCP
> server, NAT etc., plugged it in and all my problems instantly went away.
> Everything has worked perfectly ever since.
>
> BTW I am still using RH9, but I set up FC1 for my son on his PC, plugged into
> the same router, and that works fine too.
>
> So, my recommendation is, definitely go for the cable modem, but make certain
> it has ethernet, and also buy a router, it's well worth the money.

Make d*mned sure you've got one of the new, updated Belkin routers.
They put in a quasi-spyware program on some that would take over an HTTP
session periodically and route it to an advertiser's site.  They got
slapped HARD here in the US for that.  I will never buy a Belkin product
other than cables for that reason.  God knows what else they've done.

B*stards!
-   To understand recursion, you must first understand recursion.    -