XOrg vs XFree86

Redhat71 nospam at tom.com
Fri Mar 26 20:13:15 UTC 2004

> On Fri, Mar 26, 2004 at 06:11:10PM +0100, Jean-Eric Cuendet wrote:
>> Does someone already tried xorg packages from fedora-2?
>> XFree86 packages are now dropped. But are the xorg libs *working*, or is
>> it too unstable at the moment?
>
> No apparent (run time) problems here - make sure to put /usr/X11R6/lib
> in /etc/ld.so.conf, execute "ldconfig -v", and ensure that "xfs" is
> running before installing - otherwise you may be faced with X
> perpetually restarting, and booting to runlevel 1 or 3 to fix
> things...
>
> One of my machines was already set up 'properly' for xorg-x11. The
> other wasn't... :-)
>
> Cheers,
> mark

i do have one problem, i can't use the chinese input software any more

$ chinput
Chinput Version 3.0.2 -- XIM Server
Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL)
Error : XCreateFontSet() !

but if i change the locale from the default zh_CN.GB18030 to zh_CN.GB2312,
everything is fine

and i just updated to the latest version 0.0.2004_03_11.9, still the same ...