downloading updates

duncan brown duncanbrown at email.com
Sat Mar 27 16:55:58 UTC 2004

here's a snippit from a walkthrough i'm writing...  you should install
apt for fedora.

installing apt for fedora core 1 is painless, and it's the first step to
having
a completely command line free way of updating and installing custom and
regular
fedora rpms.

grab the latest version of apt from http://download.fedora.us (as i
write this,
it's located directly at
http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.stable/)
and install it.

now, you're going to need to open up a terminal and change over to the
root
super user.

at the command prompt, run

  # apt-get update

you will be run through several steps to select mirrors closest to you
for various
types of software, this is rather painless.

once everything is said and done, you should run the following command

  # apt-get install synaptic

this will download synaptic, the gui interface for apt.  from now on,
you don't
have to use the command line for apt any more.  everything will be in
there.

location : menu > system tools > more system tools > synaptic package
manager

something you'll notice is that now you have hundreds of more pieces of
software
to choose from, including games and utilities.