Bogus Email- Need help to do detective work

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Mar 28 15:18:12 UTC 2004

Am So, den 28.03.2004 schrieb jim tate um 17:01:
> I have been recieveing Bogus email's to sign onto to my bank account, so
> someone can get my userid and password.
> My Bank say's these are bogus email's and not to respond to them.
> I have been recieveing them in Mozilla mail.
> How can I tell where these email will return to , should I reply or
> respond to info requested.
> There has got to be a way to back track.
> I hope I can get the linux community help me to track down the low life
> crooks.
> Just think how many people are falling for this scam, it could be your
> dear little grandmother, BEASTS.
>
> Jim Tate

Have a look at the mail in plain format (I am not common if and how
Mozilla mail can do that). Normally those fake mails are in HTML and you
need to look at them in raw format to see the HTML tags, to where they
direct. I sometimes get faked eBay mails and inspecting the HTML code
you can see that the URI links do not direct to eBay but Russian or
Romanian hosts.

You should too have a look at the full email header. There you can
follow the path the email took through the different mailservers.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 17:14:07 up 9 days, 56 users, load average: 0.22, 0.19,
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]