Traceroute problem

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun Mar 28 15:23:12 UTC 2004

Am So, den 28.03.2004 schrieb Chris Jones um 14:32:
> Hi,
>
> I am running FC1 on an Athlon 2600 box. This is linked to the internet
> through a Netgear DG814 router. I have full internet access with http
> and can also use Bind tools such as dig. However, when I attempt to do a
> traceroute, I get the first record back for the router and then
> traceroute merely sits there returning "* * *" for each hop.
>
> I have iptables set up and I figure that I have probably blocked
> something unintentionally.
>
> Can anyone give me a pointer as to where I should look for a solution?

You did block some types of the ICMP protocol, either on you FC1 machine
or on the router. If you just block ICMP echo requests and replies it is
not that bad, but beware to have not blocked ICMP in total. Taht would
prevent correct networking.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 17:21:00 up 9 days, 1:02, load average: 0.22, 0.19, 0.12
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]