VMWare in Fedora Land

John Thompson JohnThompson at new.rr.com
Sun Mar 28 17:07:04 UTC 2004

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:30:40 +1030
Mark Limburg <mlimburg at users.on.net> wrote:

> Not really a Fedora question, but it's running on it :P
>
> I have VMWare v4.0.5 sitting here, running XP in a 20G virtual drive.
> I was wondering if there was a way to tell it of a seperate (real)
> drive I have in my machine, which normally houses a 120G XP
> installation.  This would be quite cool, as it would provide me a
> network path to this 120G partition which I could then read and write
> from!

Yes.  Although setting up a bootable raw drive is still a bit of a trick, it's relatively trivial to add an existing raw drive to a VM that boot from a virtual drive.  This can be quite handy, as the native Windows NTFS support will be used to access the drive, rather than the "experimental" linux NTFS support.

To set this up, power down (not just "suspend" but a full power down) your Windows virtual machine. With the proper VM highlighted in the main VMware window, select "VM...Settings...Hardware").  Click on the "Add" button and select "Hard Drive" and just follow the prompts for adding a physical drive.

--

-John (JohnThompson at new.rr.com)