kernel update and wireless problems (linux-wlan-ng)

Jaime Alvarez jalvarez at ieee.org
Sun Mar 28 18:26:30 UTC 2004

After a fresh install of Fedora (kernel 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl ), I installed the RPM's for linux-wlan-ng from Tim Miller's page (version 0.21-pre14). After a while i got it working with a Microsoft MN-510 USB adapter. As i'm new to linux, i wasn't sure of what to do after upgrading the kernel, so i kept using the original kernel for some weeks.

Security concerns and the desire to learn more led me to boot with the newest kernel (kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl ) and compile the modules myself (version 0.21-pre20). I followed the instructions in the Readme file, chose the default options and copied the i586 kernel config as ".config" in the /usr/src/linux-2.4.22-1.2174.nptl directory. Everything went ok apparently and when i rebooted i even got the impression that it was working, as "wlan0" was brought up without complains at boot time. However, i could not connect to the internet. The worst thing is that i can't even connect with the old kernel anymore, so i'm back into windoze!  After compiling i didn't change any files or scripts, as i thought that the ones that were working previously were ok.

I did the following checks:

'modprobe prism2_usb prism2_doreset=1'
result: no problem

'wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_ifstate ifstate=enable'
result: success

'wlanctl-ng wlan0 lnxreq_autojoin ssid=<my current working ssid> authtype=opensystem'
result: success

'ifup wlan0'
result: ends up performing three failed ping attempts and quits

I'd appreciate your help

Regards

Jaime