FYI: /etc/localtime and changing to summer time

antonio montagnani anto.montagnani at virgilio.it
Sun Mar 28 20:53:19 UTC 2004

Jeff Vian wrote/ha scritto, On/il 28/03/2004 22:35:

>> Another issue might be that you are running a twin O.S. computer with
>> Windows.
>> I have to start Windows then re-boot and time is fine...
>> Any other way to have summer time set properly in a computer like this??
>

> Windoze resets the _system_ time for the daylight savings time
> changes. This will be seen by booting to bios and checking the time
> there. Check while on the standard time, then again when on daylight
> time. I have 2 boxes side by side, one windoze and one FC1.  The time
> is reset differently.
>
> *nix boxes adjust the offset for the DST changes and do not reset
> system time.  Dual boot systems often see the problems you describe.
> This is a different way of handling the daylight savings time
> changes.  To me the *nix way is better.  Although both work, on dual
> boot systems one or the other OS will have time problems.
>
> If your system cannot read the localtime link as the OP said, then the
> effect you describe would be anticipated -----  you are using windoze
> to change the system time and not getting an effective use out of the
> localtime offset parameters from *nix.

If I remember what happened, on a dual boot system (in my case Windows
ME and Fedora Core) the *nix system didn't change the time, I had to
reboot in Windows, summer time was adjusted, and then reboot the *nix
system, and then both timezone and time were correct: i do not mind
about this strange even if I am compelled to boot Window twice a year ;-)

--

 Antonio M.

 Working with  Mozilla 1.6 on Redhat Linux Fedora Core 1