Making a spare boot up floppy

Homer Sapions hsapions at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 29 02:15:31 UTC 2004

I agree - there is nothing much to beat a CD booted to rescue mode. I have
used them many times in various flavors of RedHat 7.1, 7.3, Advanced Server
2.1 and 3, and always succeeded in repairing problems. Usually stupid ones,
like figuring out what files to look out for when restoring a server rebuilt
for a DR test - specifically files like fstab, network configs, raidtab,
modules.conf, lilo.conf and grub.conf, and of course the one guaranteed to
be a problem if you try to restore/copy or in any way overwrite it -
/lib/i686/libc-xxx.so. Try overwriting libc sometime and watch the fun -
it's sure to end up making it into a zero byte file and panic the kernel,
and make the system unbootable.