alsa modules loaded but alsamixer won't work

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Mon Mar 29 03:30:22 UTC 2004

Christopher Ness wrote:
> Hey Bert!
>
> I also had some problems with the alsamixer in that I could not change
> the volume with the applet icon on my panel.
>
> Funny thing was I upgraded from my 2.6.2 kernel to 2.6.4 trying to get
> the Cisco VPN client to play nice (that didn't work by the way) and now
> I get alsamixer running just fine now.
> I can't really explain what happened.
>
> It is weird, the only thing I changed before recompiling the new kernel
> was modifying `/etc/modprobe.conf.dist`
>
> alias char-major-14-* soundcore
>
> I added the -* to this line and it seems to work.  I got that tip from
> this list too.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris
>
> On Sun, 2004-03-28 at 10:51, Bert Haskins wrote:
>
>>Yes, also diid < above > and have no alsaconf or alsaconfig ,,,
>>reinstall says that the files are installed but find files can't find
>>any of them.
>>Why?????
>>I am root.
>>
>>Alsa is weird or at least poorly documented.
>>I sware that if I ever get it figured out, I'll do a writeup
>>that meer mortals can understand.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>    Bert

I have just installed Alsa and here's my experience.

Using  http://foolish.digitalinc.info/docs/alsa/ as a start
downloaded alsa.rpm's  ran rpm -ivh *.rpm
setup modules.conf disabled kdearts
Used /usr/bin/alsaconf,it found the card (SB Audigy)but errored
on 'start rcalsasound not found in alsactl line 691 (I think)'

Tried to sudo rmmod audigy ac97_codec sound but would say 'busy'
didn't try to rm soundcore AFAIK alsa also uses it

My only alternative was a reboot.

I now have alsa running.

david