Best AntiVirus for Fedora Core 1

Steven Stern subscribed-lists at sterndata.com
Wed Mar 31 13:47:01 UTC 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 07:18:31 -0500, "Chalonec Roger" <Chalonec.Roger at pbgc.gov>
wrote:

>I am wondering if I need antivirus.  I am using an FTP/SFTP server.
>Does ClamAV scan uploaded files that are SFTP?  Do I need an OS level
>antivirus?  Some have told me that Av is not needed on Linux.  I am not
>planning on running windows stores.  A user will send a file to the
>server with SFTP and a user will retrieve the file via SFTP.  However,
>both users will likely be using windows based systems.
>
>Thanks for your time.

It seems to me that anything you can do to make it hard to spread viruses on
your network will have a payoff.  It may not help you, the *nix admin, but it
will help the people using your server.

I'm using ClamAV on my little mail server.  You can install ClamAV and have it
manually scan the system (or selected directories) on a regular basis, write a
script to scan files as soon as the SFTP completes, or use the "clamuko"
module to have real-time background scanning running in those directories.
--
   Steve