Raid level 5

Jean-Eric Cuendet jec at rptec.ch
Wed Mar 31 14:56:23 UTC 2004

At 05:14 3/31/2004, you wrote:

 >>I'm thinking about setting up a software raid level 5.
 >>Is it possible to start with 3 HDs and then later add more?
 >>I mean, without loosing the data on the first 3 HDs.

 > Yes, on most *good* hardware RAID cards and also (I think) on Linux
 > software RAID.

Arg....
On *very good* hardware cards, perhaps....
But on software RAID, no, you can't.
With RAID 5, data is interleaved on each disks, so adding a new one and
rebuilding everything, is not easy.
With soft RAID 5, the best to do is backing up filesystem, rebuilding
the RAID5 from scratch and reinstalling the backup.

That said, the soft RAID (1 or 5) is *very* good in Linux 2.4.
Thanks to kernel developers!
-jec