Fedora core 1 sendmail problems

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Mar 31 15:56:54 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 31.03.2004 schrieb Homer Sapions um 05:35:

> Thanks Alexander, I may contact you again to help with testing directly. The
> problem is that my ISP has bound my IP address to the MAC address of the
> first PC I attached. I can get it changed, but it may take 4 - 8 hours, so I
> have just set the linksys to masquerade as the first PCs MAC address. If I
> now bypass the linksys, the cable modem will see the MAC address of my Linux
> server and not allow me access to the internet. I have another idea based on
> what somebody else (Bob?) suggested. I have a hub. I will disconnect one of
> my Windows PCs from the Linksys and connect it to the hub. Then I will
> connect the hub to the linksys incomig port so that the PC will effectively
> be on the outside of the LinkSys. That way I can eliminate the linksys from
> the equation and narrow it to just the cable modem and the ISP. As I said, I
> don't know of a way to reconfigure the cable modem, if it is even possible.
> I had never considered that as an option. It is a Motorola Surfboard SB4100
> - I'll see if I can find any books I got with it, or search online.

You can easily modify the MAC address of your NIc with following
command:

ifconfig hw ether 00:D0:B6:D2:14:4E

(MAC above is a sample)

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2174.nptl
Sirendipity 17:55:23 up 12 days, 1:37, load average: 0.59, 0.47, 0.25
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]