n00b install question

Jim Cavera j_cavera at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 31 16:47:51 UTC 2004

My apologies for the (possibly) dumb question.  I DL'd
the CD images and am trying to install on a Dell
Lattitude LS.

Config:  Dell Lattitude LS
         Pentium III, 400 MHz
         128Mb RAM, 10gig HDD

As per the LinuxLaptop instructions, I cleaned all
hidden partitions off the drive.  I now have a
completely empty, newly formatted, 10gig partition.
And no OS.

When running the anaconda installer, I get the error
(immediately following inital VM loading):

This CPU does not support long mode.  Use a 32 bit
distribution.

What does this mean, how can I fix/avoid it (no, I
won't buy another laptop)?  Note that though I am a
professional progammer, I am completely new to Linux
and haven't used *nix in many years.  So speak slowly.
 TIA.

- Jim