About RULE for FC1, was: 486 install?

M. Fioretti m.fioretti at inwind.it
Wed Mar 31 20:17:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 09:10:04 AM -0500, Travis Fraser
(travis at snowpatch.net) wrote:

> > I looked over your website and cannot find any of the downloads,
> > even for RH9. I take it there won't be any until all of the
> > developers are settled back in. I'd love to try this out for a
> > small charter school whose network I'm working on. They have a
> > bunch of 133MHz white boxes that I want to use as non-essential
> > file servers.
> If all you want is file serving, as long as you have disk space,
> just do a minimal text install with no X/GUI and use NFS or Samba.

It might be possible in his case, and if so I do recommend the same
thing as the easiest and fastest solution.

In general, however, is not that easy. What started RULE in the first
place is exactly the fact that in many cases, even if you have enough
disk for what is called "minimal" these days, and enough RAM to work,
anaconda might not start: the installer being heavier than the kernel,
which technically is as ugly as they come.

The slinky installer which Michael Fratoni wrote for RULE goes happily
in 16 MB of RAM or less.

Ciao,
	Marco Fioretti

--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

There can be no daily democracy without daily citizenship.
					      Ralph Nader