sysadmin books

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Sat May 1 02:45:28 UTC 2004

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:34:26AM -0400, Anthony J Placilla wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-04-29 at 15:17, duncan brown wrote:
> > Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on sysadmin books to fill in my
> > recently cleaned-out collection.  i need recommendations on the following
> > subjects:
> >
> > sendmail (or any other mta)
> > system security
> > apache
> >
> > -d
> >

> > -+(duncan brown
>

> One that I swear by is
> The Practice of System & Network Administration
> ISBN 0201702711

I tend to purchase the cheap out of date books on the bargan table at
Books a Million.  For instance, got The Networking CD Bookshelf 6
books on cdrom including DNS and BIND book for $19.99.  Original price
was $79.99.

Of course some of these books are available online for free, it's much
easier to read the real book or have the cds.  Most of the technical
data is never outdated.

Another book I enjoyed was Unix System Administration Handbook, ISBN:
0-13-151051-7 there may be a newer edition of this book.  Very
interesting but geared toward older Unix systems and the Unix way of
doing things.  If I only had a memory and could remember everything in
this book, I would be very popular:)

I think someone already mentioned Linux Server Hacks, ISBN:
0-596-00461-3 by O'REILLY

My fav is not a book but the Linux Journal.

If you are not already subscribed, you can subscribe online without a
credit card by chosing the "Bill me" option (in the US at least).
http://www.linuxjournal.com/

When you get the bill don't forget to pay it;)

Not cheap at the bookstore, but a must have is MaGraw-Hill Illustrated
TELECOM Dictionary (i have 4th edition), includes cdrom.  ISBN:
0-07-139508-3

This book and other telcom books listed here:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0071395083/qid%3D1083378668/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-7830366-4001430?v=glance

With the exception of the Linux Journal, I don't recommend amazon.com
or Books a Million specifically.  However, the people at the coffee
shops are very interesting so I suggest you get out more;)

jay