SMP program with Dell PowerEdge 2500

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Sat May 1 10:41:53 UTC 2004

I've setup my classroom with dual-boot Windows/Fedora Core 1, but
this was done outside of the class due to the time it took to setup all
the machines. Today, I brought  in a Dell PowerEdge 2500, and
swapped out the normal drives with  a new 36GB drive. Installed
from the two CD's that came with a Book, since this machine didn't
have a DVD drive. Install went thru fine, but it would not boot with
the smp kernel. It booted fine with the non-smp one. Went ahead,
and installed all the upgrades, and downloaded the last 2188 kernel
in both regular and smp. Rebooted with the smp kernel, and again it
locked. It locked will it said loading local drives. So, I did and
Interactive boot with the SMP kernel, and just went enter for all the
prompts, and it came up fine. Tried rebooting, and it locked again
with a normal process. It is locks with the local drive message, and
mouse and everything is locked. Not even num locks. It has a PERC
3 controller, and I'm wondering if something is happening two fast
with a regularboot up, but the step by step puts in enough of a delay
to avoid this. I don't think it was using a special driver for the PERC,
since I only saw adaptec 7700 message.

Thanks.
P.S. It has dual Pentium III Xeon 1GHz Chips and 512MB of ECC
memory.
  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  13,199
Processing time:  27 years, 334 days,  3 hours,  1 minutes
(Total Hours: 244,539)