Limited Menus for non-root users

Brian Fahrlander brian at fahrlander.net
Sat May 1 12:08:31 UTC 2004

    Tonight my neices were over; they've been over a lot since their
HOUSE BURNED DOWN...and their Linux machines (and pretty much everything
else) was lost in the fire.

    So I created a 'guest' account on my little LTSP server up there,
and one of the neices was plugging away on TuxPaint or something, when
it hit me: the menus would be a lot less complicated (and massive) if
everything requiring root access were not displayed for non-root users.

    I don't know where else to point out this suggestion, but there are
a lot of people here, many who're working on FC2T3, and might have
useful opinions on it.

    The idea's simple; until the "get root access" menu item, always
displayed, is hit and it provides the little 'keys' icon on the system
tray, programs requiring root access simply don't show up. Entire menus,
once 'hidden' like this, would then be hidden from their parent menus.

    I think this is do-able, but then, I've not seen the code.  What do
you folks think?

Brian Fahrländer                  Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                 http://www.fahrlander.net
ICQ 5119262
AIM: WheelDweller
angegangen, Schlange-Hüften, sein es ganz rüber jetzt. Bügel innen fest,
weil es eine lange, süsse Fahrt ist.