FC1 on HP Servers

Rich Lafferty rich+rhl at lafferty.ca
Sat May 1 16:33:17 UTC 2004

On Sat, May 01, 2004 at 11:11:49PM +1200, Roland Venter <lists at cits.co.nz> wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm looking at the possibility at deploying Fedora on HP servers, has anyone
> had any issues i.e.:
> Detecting hardware devices especially raid controllers and network cards,
> stability issues,
>
> HP provide drivers for RH8.0 and RHEL3.0, has anyone been successful in
> recompiling drivers to work with FC1?
>
> Servers are newer G2/3 ML and DL's

I'm running FC1 on DL320 G2, DL320 G3 and DL360 G3 with no problems and
no need for HP drivers. I've got some DL380 G3s running older versions,
but I don't see anything that would stop FC1 from working there too. No
need for any HP drivers yet. I don't have any ML-class data points yet.

If you like I can list specific controllers and such on Monday. Let
me know if that would be useful.

I *am* running the RHEL3 versions of WBEM and SNMP-based Insight
management clients without problems, and am even running the RHEL3
version of Insight Manager on an FC1 box with no problems.

I've been very happy with the out-of-the-boxness of HP hardware for
a while and haven't encountered any surprises with FC1.

If you do want to run HP's own drivers, driver recompilation ought to be
pretty straightforward, since HP typically offers source RPMs.

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!