Cannot start X server

Steve Searle steve at stevesearle.com
Sat May 1 18:10:27 UTC 2004

I have just installed Fedora Core 1 on an old HP NetServer.  However I
can't get the X server to start.  The server has an onboard video card,
I don't know what.  My monotor is an ADI Microscan 4v.  Running
	redhat-config-xfree86 --reconfig -v

produces:

* dccprobe returned bogus values:
ID:	None
Name:	None
HorizSync: None
VertSync:  None

Trying with card: VESA driver (generic)
Writing temporary config file to /tmp/@1806.0xf86config
Trying to start X server
Waiting for X server to start...log located in /var/log/XFree86.setup.log
1...2...3...4...5....X SERVER FAILED
Error, cannot start X server.

/var/log/XFree86.setup.log contains:

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Fedora Core 1: 4.3.0-55)
Release Date: 15 August 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.21-9.ELsmp i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 12 February 2004
Build Host: bugs.devel.redhat.com

        Before reporting any problems, please make sure you are using the most
        recent XFree86 packages available from Red Hat by checking for updates
        at http://rhn.redhat.com/errata or by using the Red Hat Network up2date
        tool.  If you still encounter problems, please file bug reports in the
        XFree86.org bugzilla at http://bugs.xfree86.org and/or Red Hat
        bugzilla at http://bugzilla.redhat.com

Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.22-1.2188.nptlsmp (bhcompile at daffy.perf.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030422 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-6)) #1 SMP Wed Apr 21 20:12:56 EDT 2004
         (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(++) Log file: "/dev/null", Time: Sat May  1 19:35:29 2004
(++) Using config file: "/tmp/@1806.0xf86config"
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

If you encounter a server crash, please report the problem by filing a bug
report in the XFree86.org bugzilla at http://bugs.xfree86.org and/or Red Hat
bugzilla at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla.  When filing your report, it
is very important that you explain your problem in as much detail as possible,
and include a complete description on how to reproduce the problem.  After
submitting the bug report, attach the following files as uncompressed
individual file attachments using the bugzilla file attachment feature:
        - X server log file: /dev/null
        - X server config file: /tmp/@1806.0xf86config
        - Kernel log file: /var/log/messages

Can anyone help get the X server running, or point me at some help.

Thanks

Steve

--

(o<     www.stevesearle.com