FC1 and Belkin OmniView 4-port switch

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun May 2 08:42:12 UTC 2004

From: "Karl Hakmiller" <karlh at concentric.net>

> I came across a Belkin switch (OmniView) at CompUSA that permits running
up to four computers using a single monitor, keyboard, mouse and
speaker-set.  It sounds like a great space saver - I have an XP Home and an
FC1 machine taking up most of the table space in my study - and it would be
great to get rid of one of the monitors and such.

> But, I'm wondering if any listers have used this switch with a linux
machine before I buy it.  I don't mind set-up problems if they can be
overcome with a little patience and work but I've been burned a couple of
times lately with hardware having installation software which is only
written for Windows machines.

I have an 8 port Onmiview. It's video quality is so low and support
from Belkin so wretched I tend to urge people to avoid Belkin like
poison.

A brand new unit oscillated on the video for certain brightness transitions.
I arranged a replacement from Belkin. I received a VERY used unit that was
in worse shape than the one I had. I subsequently took the original one
apart, found something that rectified most of the problem, and am still
limping along with it. The video still has unsatisfactory levels of video
ringing. I will not be purchasing Belkin again for a VERY long time.

{^_^}   Joanne Dow said that.