Initial Problems with FC1

Dick Roth raroth7 at comcast.net
Sun May 2 11:33:30 UTC 2004

To those who responded, thank you.  After a long day, all is well.

I came close to re-installing from CD, but little by little, by reading
listers' comments and suggestions, I finally am 100% FC1.

The biggest problem was the default sources file.  Following Alexander
Dalloz's suggestions, I modified it to use a different mirror.
Unfortunately, all mirrors don't have lots of bandwidth and the first
mirror I chose crept along at 13-27 KB/s.  I found a faster one by trial
and error.

Did I miss a "Readme" file that said not to try to register with Red
Hat?  Doing that messed up up2date so it wouldn't associate with the
proper channels.  I finally got that squared away (but I'm not sure I
know how I did it!!).

At any rate, thanks to all.  I'm now ready to upgrade my machine at the
office...I think.

Dick

--
In these trying times, Ben Franklin's view should be a guide:

        safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." (1759)