Win4Lin

Bill Diamond bill at billdiamond.com
Sun May 2 15:18:31 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-05-02 at 02:34, John wrote:

> Hi again folks
>
> I know that various folks have got win4lin running under fedora.  But
> apparently one has to "rebuild the kernel"!  What the . . .??
>
> Can anyone help with this exercise, or point me to a "how to" that isn't
> in "nerd speak"?
>
> thanks
>
> John

That's a two-part answer.  If you're running Fedora 1 with the 2.4
kernel, you have a pretty good shot at installing Win4Lin which will
automatically build a new kernel with the kernel features needed to run
Win4Lin.  If you're running a 2.6 kernel, you'll need to go through the
process of downloading the kernel patch, applying it to the kernel
source code, building the kernel and installing it.  Most of this
process is pretty well automated, so it's not as bad as it sounds.

It's written up on Netraverse's website.  You have a couple of options.
You can download, build  and install a generic kernel that supports
Win4Lin from there.  Otherwise, you need to identify which kernel you're
using and download the relevant patches from Netraverse.

You apply the patch to the kernel source and then follow the normal
steps to rebuild the kernel.  It sounds a lot harder than it really is.
It's a two-step process, typically, to extract the appropriate patch.
The patch adds the adapter to the kernel that supports Win4Lin.

Once you've done these steps and rebooted into the new kernel, you can
install and configure Win4Lin.  I won't claim it's the most fun I've
spent on a Friday night, but it's reliable and there's a certain kick in
being able to do this.  It'll serve you well in the future.

There's a lot of good reasons for doing this, mostly because you can do
a lot of explicit control over which features get lashed onto the
kernel.  You can disable the stuff that's deadweight and pretty much
maximize the performance of your kernel.

Bill