Up2date/yum doesn't seem to work

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Sun May 2 12:24:19 UTC 2004

Am So, den 02.05.2004 schrieb Jim Garrison um 06:19:

> Fedora FC1.
> Configured several yum repos in /etc/rhn/sysconfig/sources.

Would be good to know whether you did set up a list of conflicting
repositories.

> rhn-applet shows several updates pending.

http://fedoranews.org/tchung/howto/2003-12-02-rhn-applet.shtml

Is that an issue for you?

> up2date says "Your system is up to date".

Did you already install the up2date update package?

http://fedoranews.org/updates/FEDORA-2004-083.shtml

If needed do it manually using rpm directly.

> I changed the repos in /etc/rhn/sysconfig/sources
> several times but still got "Your system is up to date".
>
> Manually running "yum check-updates" gives the same list
> of updates displayed by rhn-applet.

yum uses /etc/yum.conf and not the sources file for up2date.

> Watching up2date with ethereal reveals that it does a
> GET for header.info with an "If-modified-since" header
> with a very recent timestamp.  When it receives
> 304 Not Modified, it appears to decide nothing's needed.
>
> Question:
>
> Where does up2date cache header.info, and how does it
> determine the timestamp to use in the "If-modified-since"?

As far as I see up2date does not store header.info. Check your
/var/spool/up2date directory and maybe delete it's content (or move it
to a different place).

> I suspect my header.info is 'cache poisoned' with a newer
> version from a mirror that doesn't yet have the updates.

There may be mirrors having difficulties with the high traffic and
access volume caused by the arriving of the test 3 release. Again,
provide us with information which mirrors you use and which repositories
you have configured.

> Jim Garrison (jhg at acm.org)

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 14:16:50 up 5 days, 13:05, load average: 0.32, 0.25, 0.18
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]