kudzu interaction with printers w/o standby mode (Canon BJC 255)

Matt Hansen helios82 at optushome.com.au
Mon May 3 01:14:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 10:45, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> akonstam at trinity.edu (akonstam at trinity.edu) said:
> > I recently posted a message asking about exactly the same behavior in
> > relation to modems (kudzu --class=MODEM). I don't understand this and
> > no one responded with an explanation. I remain confused.
>
> When run with --class=<blah>, it only probes for that class. Hence,
> it sees all the things aside from that class as removed.
>
> Bill
That makes sense. However, why is it that you can only detect a printer
(maybe the case with other hw?) when booting up? Limitations in how you
can talk to the printer hardware? If I run 'kudzu -s' from a VT once
Fedora is loaded up, it returns with nothing. I think I should be able
to turn my printer on after the fact and *then* run kudzu and get it
added to hwbrowser. What are the current technical difficulties of doing
this? Note, as I've already stated previously, printing still works
without the printer listed in hwbrowser, so this is more a
consistency/aesthetic issue.

Regards,
-Matt
--
"Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
 - Bob Young on the benefits of the open source development model.