new FC1 install problems

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Mon May 3 12:20:05 UTC 2004

Am Mo, den 03.05.2004 schrieb Gene Heskett um 03:31:

> Greetings;
>
> My main box lost its ability to run anything gtk or gnome related, so I put in
> FC1 disk1 and did an upgrade from my well modified RH8.0 install.  Running
> gcc3.2, kde3.2, qt3.2 and the best kernel so far, 2.6.5-mm6.

[ snipped the story ]

> Where do I go from here folks?
>
> No Cheers for FC1 at this point, Gene

Gene,

your are either very, very optimistic or blue eyed. At least you
overestimate what an automatic upgrade process can handle. And that is
no limitation of Fedora nor of RPM in specific.

You did not say, but I guess all the never software versions on your RH8
were installed from source and where no RPM packages. So how should the
package manager handle that situation? And even it were RPM installed
packages, it had to handle dependencies and downgrading to versions FC1
does deliver. And on top there is the situation that FC1 is not kernel
2.6 ready. Of course not to forget that even your system was broken
before you started upgrading (you mentioned that in your first
sentence).

Conclusion: all that was to be expected. In cases of such heavily
customized installations - your RH8 did not look any more like RH8 -
there is only the way of a fresh new install.

Alexander

Fedora GNU/Linux Core 1 (Yarrow) on Athlon CPU kernel 2.4.22-1.2188.nptl
Sirendipity 14:12:53 up 6 days, 13:01, load average: 0.35, 0.14, 0.08
                   [ Γνωθι σ'αυτον - gnothi seauton ]