new FC1 install problems

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Mon May 3 16:48:42 UTC 2004

Gene Heskett said:

>>I'm not quite as old as Gene, only 60.  Started programming with an
>> IBM 1620 (the first all-solid-state computer) in 1963.  Started
>> using Unix in 1980.  And still have my original RH 6.0 CDs on the
>> shelf.
>>
> :) 6.0? rootkitted yet?  Bind was leakey, very leaky. But I think, if  I
> dug deep enough in all this detrious in here, that I could come up  with
> a full 2? cd install of rh5.1.

when i worked for lycos we had a group of engineers who were installing
6.2 and weren't applying any patches ... keep in mind, this was the summer
of 2002.  the things were comprimised in less than a day, one was even
taken over in less than 2 hours after installation.  i donated my box set
of 6.2 to the library, looking back i think that was a mistake =]

-d

-+(duncan brown
-+(duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
-+(http://www.linuxadvocate.net

Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving wordy
evidence of the fact.
                -- George Eliot