Old farts and new Linux

jludwig wralphie at comcast.net
Mon May 3 20:15:51 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 15:43, Betti Ann & Preston Smith wrote:
> i am about to move to FC2 from W98. I would be interested in how you did
> this please.
>
> In your context, I must be a ROF (Real Old Fart) - I am 63 and first worked
> with computers in the late 60 when the IBM 360's and 370's were in vogue.
>
> Thanks
>
> Preston
>

> At 06:40 PM 4/29/04, you wrote:
> >I just got Quicken 2002 Deluxe to work in wine (wine-20040309-
> >1rh73winehq) on my RH7.3 box. If you are interested, I can send you my
> >config file.
> >
> >At 45, I too would, no doubt, be referred to as an "old fart" by any
> >college kid.
>
> ---
> Betti Ann & Preston Smith, Head of St Margaret's Bay, NS,
> prsmith at ns.sympatico.ca
> 1962 MGA 1600 MK II, 1980 MGB Limited Edition
> 2002 Damon Challenger 335 Motor Home on 2001 Ford V-10 20,500 lb chassis
My dad used to brag about the IBM system he worked with. Massive machine
16MB core memory.

For those who don't know what core memory is, it's miniature ferrite
beads strung together with three wires through them to read/write
[magnetize and demagnetize], and reset if I remember correctly. I have
seen 16 MB of core memory, it was the size of a full size tower case.

--
jludwig <wralphie at comcast.net>