Old farts and new Linux

EdLevinson at ResultsLifeCoaching.com EdLevinson at ResultsLifeCoaching.com
Mon May 3 23:32:01 UTC 2004

Another old fart checks in.

First computer I saw (1960) was an IBM 650.  IBM's bi-quinary tube machine
with a rotating magnetic drum for intermediate storage.  Did programs some
analogs though.  The University then changed to the IBM 7090 with 1401s as
a staging device.  You transferred your punched cards to tape with the 1401
and then transferred the tape to the 7090.  It was an open lab, you just
signed up for time and you had the machines to yourself.  (That lasted a
semester ;-).  Did some work (in RPG, you should forgive the expression)
over the summer on an IBM 125(?).

Was at Bell Labs when UNIX came out.  I have a copy of the Bell System
Technical Journal special UNIX editions (July 1978 and October 1984).  Used
it off and on for development along with projects for IBM's CMS
o/s.  Stayed with Unix for lots of projects after leaving Bell but finally
became engulfed by ....

Now I've set up FC1 and running a project for a distributed accounting system.

Best.../Ed

PS: for the curious, and as my wife says, "the younger folk need role
models", I'm 60.

Ed Levinson  47 Clive Street  Metuchen, NJ 08840  USA
Coach & Technology Consultant
T: +1 732 494 1606  F: +1 732 494 4495
mailto:EdLevinson at ResultsLifeCoaching.com http://www.ResultsLifeCoaching.com