RedHat Support

Chris Kloiber ckloiber at ckloiber.com
Tue May 4 03:03:28 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 05:56, Scott Burch wrote:

> >Well, I certainly hope you haven't let this issue just fester for a
> >month!  Stay on top of tech support.  File reports with Bugzilla.
> >It's _your_ responsibility to see that you get your money's worth.
> >You know, squeeky wheel and all that...
>

> I don't know what the rules are here about posting RedHat stuff, but
> since I was praising people for providing good advise....
>
> The issue I am having is regarding the megaraid drivers.  I am running
> a Dell server with raid 5 on RHEL 3.0.  Access is very slow.  hdparm -t
> shows approximatly 8MB/sec.  I have done the following to troubleshoot:
>
> 1) modified initrd to use the provided megaraid2 module
> 2) Booted off of Knoppix and checked the speed (75MB/sec)
> 3) Booted off of the RedHat disk1 in recovery mode and checked the
>    speed (no change still 8MB/sec)
> 4) used a large file copy operation to ensure that hdparm not giving
>    me erroneous information.  Took about twice as long as my laptop
>    that is running Fedora. (I know this is a rough test)
>
> FURTHER SYMPTOMS
> 'top' shows high iowait percentage.  I assume this is just the OS outrunning
> the drives.
>
> If anyone has any further things for me to try, please let me know.

I'm not the tech assigned to your ticket, but I did look it up. I
suggest you not connect the tape drive to the Megaraid, instead connect
it to the LSI MPTFusion card. It also looks like you have the modules
for the LSI being loaded prior to the Megaraid, but that should not
cause grief unless you put a hard drive on the LSI.

--
Chris Kloiber