Correct way to mount Win2k3 shares with Samba?

Preston Crawford me at prestoncrawford.com
Tue May 4 04:47:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 20:08, Edward wrote:
> me at prestoncrawford.com wrote:
>
> > I'm having a bear of a time doing this. All I want to do is to write to some Win2k3 SMB shares.
> > Anyone done this yet? I can't figure out how to do this.
> >
> > Preston
>
> what smbmount command are you using?
>
> P.S. Telling us you're having a bear of a time doing this while not
> specifying what you've tried to accomplish this, cli, x, etc., and what
> is happening for it not to work (error messages?) is not really helpful.
>
> Also not the right way to post to a mailing list.

Understood. What I was hoping for, I guess, especially given what a
special case Win2k3 is, is for a pointer to a website or some kind of
authoritative THIS IS THE PROPER WAY TO MOUNT A WINDOWS SHARE kind of
site. Basically. But, here goes...

What I've done so far? Created an entry in /etc/fstab. This entry looks
as follows...

//servername/sharename /mnt/mountname smbfs
user,noauto,username=x,password=x 0 0

All one line obviously.

I've crated a directory named "mountname" and given ownership to my user
"preston". I've also gone through some other steps outlined in something
I found online (the link is at work) to add this machine to the Win2k3
Active Directory Domain. So far, so good.

However, when I mount the share (and I can) as I said earlier I can't
write to the share. For example, the directories in the share might look
like this...

drwxr-x-r-x   3 prestonc prestonc    128 Apr 30 09:14 Code

..And yet I can't write to that "Code" directory at all. No idea why. I
seem to have permissions. My password on the domain is the same as my
password on the local machine. Usernames are the same. Ownership of the
directory is established. I'm mounting the directory as me. That's why
I'm puzzled.

And thus this is why I asked if anyone knew the "correct" way to mount
Win2k3 shares. Because obviously I can mount shares. And they look like
they can be written to. But they can't. So clearly something is going
wrong such that my username/password is either not getting authenticated
against the domain controller when attempting to write or isn't getting
passed on from my machine. Whatever the case, I'm able to mount, but not
write and thus there is something that's a bit off and I can't for the
life of me figure out what it is. That's why I asked the question.

I've setup plenty of networks in the past where the file server was a
Linux box running Samba. Used "smbpasswd -a <user>" to add new users and
set their passwords. Got it so people could write to the shares, etc. In
fact I just setup one a few weeks ago. But I don't have as much
experience writing to Windows shares from Linux. And that's specifically
what I was hoping someone could show me how to do properly.

Preston