Disappearing audio device.

Chadley Wilson chadley at pinteq.co.za
Tue May 4 06:02:27 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 22:24, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> This is roughly the scenario:
> 1. I installed rp8---  rpm
> 2. Could not access audio card got an error message that the card was
> being used by another program.
> 3, removed realplayer8
> 4.Installed RealPlayer9 rpm.
> 5. My audiocard disappeared. It is still found by hwbrowser, and it
> still is in the kudzu /etc/sysconfig.hwconf database
> 6. But redhat-config-soundcard says it can't find the soundcard.
> Another error I get from some applications is that they can not find
> /dev/dsp, but this device is there and seems to have the right
> characteristics.
>
> I have removed RealPlayer9 it does not help. rebooting does not help.
> Any ideas of where to look for the problem?
I had the same problem a while ago with my home PC,
I fixed by removing my sb live and booting up. Kudzu removed the config
for it. I then shutdown and reinserted the card and booted up. Kudzu
detected it and reconfigured it.
I installed sndconfig from the installation cds switched to init 3 and
ran the sndconfig tool.
It fixed it for me.

--
Chadley - Linux Rocks