Connecting to Microsoft VPN with Linux?

Nigel Wade nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Tue May 4 12:39:01 UTC 2004

Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a job to do for a site which currently has two
> Debian Linux boxes connected via VPN (using ipsec) to
> two of its state offices.
>
> In one state (the other state from here), this
> particular company is supported by a mob who don't
> know anything about Linux, so they wish to convert the
> company to Microsoft VPN and have asked me what is
> required on my end to make Linux support their
> Microsoft VPN solution their end.
>
> The sites are connected via an ADSL link, which the
> debian linux box in my state handles (for dialup and
> connection establishment etc).
>
> I don't mind converting the company in my state to FC1
> or whatever, but I'm wondering:
>
> * can Linux VPN support Microsoft VPN?

I never got it to work, but I didn't really try that hard.

> * are there any ADSL modem/routers which support
> Microsoft's VPN?

My Vigor 2600 does it perfectly well. I've a permanent VPN from home to work.

> Any ideas or comments are welcome.

Ask the Windows people at the other site what is required to make Windows
connect to your Linux VPN (just for a laugh).

With Vigor boxes you can setup a VPN from Vigor to Vigor without requiring
either Windows or Linux to be involved.

E-mail :    nmw at ion.le.ac.uk
Phone :     +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555