Old farts and new Linux (was: new FC1 install problems)

T. Ribbrock emgaron at gmx.net
Tue May 4 12:40:26 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 12:44:42PM -0400, duncan brown wrote:
> i'm 28 and i've been using linux since i was 17.  it's not a misconception
> per-se, it's just that most people that i know who use computers go for
> the "longer established" (in their heads) windows 9X/XP, and it's
> interesting to me when there's someone that's older and went with the (as
> my mom puts it) "hippie o/s".  i converted her over to fedora back in
> december.

Well, I got the impression that especially the (technical) folks who are
30-40 now have more of a tendency to know what computers actually *are*.
I'm 35 now and "my generation" was the one that started off on VIC20s (I
did), Sinclairs or even self-built Z80/6502 machines. Most of us would
have gotten their hands dirty on assembler at some point and also would
have been used to the command line right from the start. The younger
folks seem to be spoiled by the "GUI-it-all" virus that spread later...
;-) As such, especially the technical folks my age seem to have the
openess and knowledge needed to try other stuff.

Cheerio,

Thomas (first Unix experience 1991 at university, Linux user since RHL4.1
        - I think 1997)
--
===> Netiquette - read it, use it: http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html <===