rpm upgrades segfaulting FC1

Brian Hankins bhankins at micahtek.com
Tue May 4 15:50:24 UTC 2004

I am having some trouble with rpm upgrades, while installing new
packages works fine. This is what I see when running this:
# rpm -Uvh package.rpm
Segfault

There is a backstory to this actually. One day I was running the
upgrades as normal through the graphical up2date tool, and I upgraded
something like 6 packages at once. This was about a month and a half ago
when openssl needed an update. When I rebooted, all kinds of stuff began
segfaulting after some research and straces we ended up forcing a
reinstall of the openssl package(just trying to ssh into another machine
was segfaulting as well). After that everything seemed to be working
well, except for rpm which segfaults everytime I  try to upgrade a
package, which is hindering me from updating the system. I had something
like this happen in an older version of redhat so I used:
# rpm --rebuilddb

I was still running into the same issue, and I went to deleted the db files:
# rm /var/lib/rpm/__db*

The problem still happens, so I grabbed the rpm of rpm from the install
cd and upgraded it with: "rpm -Uvh --force" which ends up displaying the
status hashes like its installing, but segfaults after that point. I
could not find anything beneficial in my investigation in the logs or
and strace of running rpm, granted I am not an expert on it. I would
appreciate any suggestions, or help on a fix or workaround, or what else
I need to look for. Thanks alot.

--
Brian Hankins