Escaping

Satish Balay balay at fastmail.fm
Tue May 4 20:18:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 4 May 2004, Jeremy Brown wrote:

> Bob Shaffer ][ wrote:
>
> >Are you telling me that "yum update" and "yum upgrade" will completely
> >upgrade everything?  I've never used the "upgrade" option thinking it was
> >synonym for "update" in that context.  If I can actually use yum to
> >upgrade my system to FC2, that might be what I'll do.
> >

> Err, that was a mistype there.  It's apt where you have to "update",
> then "upgrade".  WIth yum, "update" will do it all.

Actually 'yum upgrade' is different - It processes 'obsoletes' whereas
update doesn't. (check manpage)

'yum upgrade' is the prefered way as it can handle 'XFree86 -> xorg',
'redhat-config -> system-config' changes which took place with
FC2. There are a few other changes that yum can't handle (apparently
anaconda does). One of the notable ones is selinux (fixable with
kernel boot option selinux=0) Don't know if there are others.

Satish