Tackling a shared USB printer (linux -> WXP)

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Tue May 4 23:44:56 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 06:12:45PM -0400, Brion Swanson wrote:

> I agree it's logical to have one queue for each device that needs a
> different driver, but managing 'n' number of queues for a single printer
> because I have 'n' number of different OSes, each of which talk to the
> printer in a different language is, if not difficult at least annoying.

The fact that you need to set up a raw queue is a hack, make no
mistake.  But let me explain why it came about:

The algorithm that redhat-config-printer uses to decide whether to
enable octet-stream is: "if there is at least one raw queue defined on
the system, octet-stream is needed."

In this instance, it makes no different what raw queue you set up --
it be for any printer, even one that is not shared.  The raw queue is
not even the one that the Windows machine prints to.  It's just that a
raw queue is needed on the system to make redhat-config-printer enable
octet-stream in mime.convs.

Clearly, a better algorithm is needed.  Perhaps "always enable
octet-stream" is better.  But somehow who knows more about CUPS than I
would be better placed to say whether that's the correct way to do it.

CUPS ships with octet-stream disabled by default -- there must be a
reason for that, surely.  I had in my mind that it was for some
security reason or other, but if there is no such concern I would be
happy to make octet-stream enabled by default.

Tim.
*/