new FC1 install problems

chuck_sterling csterlin at zianet.com
Wed May 5 00:01:48 UTC 2004

On Mon, 03 May 2004 10:44:42 -0400, duncan brown wrote:

> and i don't mean to insult you in anyway, but... i wonder who's the
> oldest computer literate linux user out there?  i sort of have the
> mentality of the hippies back in the 60s/70s, don't trust anyone over 30
> =] ... it's hard for me to believe that someone over 30 uses linux
> personally, once you're over 30 you have to start thinking more like a
> manager =]... then again, i'm almost over that line, but i don't feel
> like i'm that close =]

I'm 57, about middle-aged, from what I see in other posts. I bought my
first Real Computer about 1983, learned how to program on it, and have
been fiddling with them since. Currently I, with another guy, run a shop
with eight or so (depending on when the rest get delivered) Sun systems
with various Solaris versions, four RH 7.3 boxen as secondary DNS servers
(eventually to be upgraded), and a small pile of WinNT and Win2K servers.
And a couple of Nokia/Checkpoint firewalls, (also depending on) when they
get delivered. We support about 700 users at present. I started with Linux
at Suse 6.2, which was not a productive endeavor, stayed with Suse for a
few releases, then tried RH 6.2 at a security class, and stayed with RH to
7.3 until RH announced RedHat Linux was a dead issue, then moved to FC at
home. I mostly use Win32 at $WORK since that's where most of the user
support is needed, and of course some Solaris but not much since they just
keep going. I  split my time at home between Windows and FC depending on
what I need to do at the moment. Just one PC at home if you don't count my
daughter's system.

As for going into management, I told my supervisor that in order not to
distress the system, I will wait until my mind starts to go.

Y'all have fun,
Chuck