arrgh <Sigh> auto mounting cd-rw gets in my way...

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Wed May 5 03:33:42 UTC 2004

Hello, Please pardon me if this is a dumb question but right now I'm
tired and a little frustraited...

I'm in the middle of learning what I can do with dvd::rip I'm reduced to
empirical testing to find out which (if any) dvd archive choices other than
vcd will work in the living rooms dvd/vcr. I find it frustrating when just
inserting a cd in the drive sometimes auto launches konqueror ( I use mc
for that ) Worse still just before supper I stuck a cd-rw in the drive
and clicked on blank... Well I just came back with just enough time to
burn one more output type variant and start a new transcode process
before going to bed. only to find that the cd-rw didn't blank.
Apparently because it's existing filesystem was detected and it was
automatically mounted for me on /mnt/cdrom1 even though my fstab says
noauto (do I so badly miss-remember the purpose of noauto?)
<fstab included below>

Now I wouldn't want to stop any auto-mounting that may occur when I
implicitly call an application such as "<ALT>+<F2>ogle<ENTER>" But I
wouldn't ever want such mounting to be triggered by closing the drive's
disk tray...

Would someone please tell me where this particular auto mounting feature is
controlled? And which control setting can stop konqueror from auto-launching?

And/or point my tired mind at the right docs...

If it matters I'm using FC1/kde

Thanks
--
|				      ---   ---
|     Joe (theWordy) Philbrook	      <o>   <o>
|	   J(tWdy)P			  ^
|	<<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>		/---\    < ARRRGH >
|					\___/

:r /etc/fstab

LABEL=/1                /                       ext2    defaults        1 1
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hdc11              swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/hda7               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom1             /mnt/cdrom1             udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdrom              /dvd-rom              udf,iso9660 noauto,user,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/cdwriter	/cd-rw	udf,iso9660 iocharset=iso8859-1,noauto,user,nodev 0 0

/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,user,kudzu 0 0
/dev/hda1	/theWin98	vfat user,iochaeset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850,noauto 0 0

/dev/fd0	/flop-a	vfat	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0	/flop-ext	ext2	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda3	/theVoyage	ext2	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda4	/theVoid	ext2	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda5	/drv-e	vfat	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hda6	/the_root	ext2	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc1	/drv-d	msdos	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc3	/theQuest	ext2	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc4	/theReaAbyss	ext2	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc5	/theFudged	ext2	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc6	/theHdc6tmp	ext2	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc7	/theRoastit_hdc7	ext2	user,noauto 0 0
/dev/hdc8	/the_j-home	ext2	auto 0 0
/dev/hdc9	/theTMP	ext2	user,noauto 0 0