OFF TOPIC: directory tree script file problem

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Wed May 5 12:13:36 UTC 2004

Mick Mearns said:
> What I want to do is scan a directory structure and re-create it
> without any files.

cd /source_dir
find . -type d | while read line
do
  mkdir -p /target_dir/${line}
done

> I have tried various incantations of sed/cut/file and managed to
> destroy the file system on a test box! (I was root)

never never never never never never never never never never never never
EVER do anything that doesn't have to do with system maintenance as root.

NEVER EVER.

=]

-d

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
+(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991