Apache document tree location on Fedora

Jay Daniels drs at pointyhats.com
Wed May 5 13:21:13 UTC 2004

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 09:07:52PM -0400, Ron Goulard wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 20:58, Dennis M Gray wrote:
> > Last night I was taking a look at the web server configuration that
> > was set up by default when I installed Fedora. The /var/www/html was
> > specified as the document tree. I also noticed that Squirrelmail was
> > set up by default as well in /usr/share/squirrelmail (or something
> > like that). In the httpd.conf file I fail to find a reference to
> > Squirrelmail as an alias. I am wondering how this works. I can connect
> > on the web as http://myserver/webmail (example) and it finds the
> > /usr/share/squirrelmail directory.
>
> In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf there is this...
>
> # Load config files from the config directory "/etc/httpd/conf.d".
> Include conf.d/*.conf
>
> which loads squirrelmail.conf
>
> Ron

Installing and setting up squirrelmail is so simple, why would you use
the rpm anyway since there is actually nothing to compile?

Using the tar.gz package and putting a link from squirrelmail-version
to a directory possibly named webmail or squirrelmail makes it easy to
switch versions just by changing the soft link.  That way you can test
new versions of squirrelmail by untaring the package, deleting the old
link and linking the new source directory.

jay