Users, groups and directory access

A.J. Bonnema abonnema at xs4all.nl
Wed May 5 13:37:33 UTC 2004

duncan brown wrote:
> A.J. Bonnema said:
>
>>>Sounds like John just needs to log out and back in again. There's
>>>little effective difference between primary and supplementary groups.
>>
>>It still doesn't work. However, I checked the group membership of john
>>after applying "gpasswd -a john proj" and -- even after exit and
>>creating a new terminal -- the command "groups" does not show proj. It
>>only shows john as group, while f.i. root has a whole bunch of groups.
>>
>>Is gpasswd the wrong utility here?
>

> do this for me, please:
>
> egrep 'john|proj' /etc/passwd /etc/group
>
> and post the results to the list.  let's see what we're working with, first.

Hi Duncan,

Thanks for your reaction, but the problem was solved when I did a logoff
from my X-session...
Besides, I had changed my (dutch) names to english, so the grep wouldn't
match my example.

Thanks anyway.

> +( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
> +(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

> Understatement of the century:
> "Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
> a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
> big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
> clones"
>          - Linus Torvalds, August 1991

(nice quote: no-one saw this one coming......)

Guus.
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)