Fedora desktop experience: Great, but not quite all I need

duncan brown duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net
Wed May 5 15:17:56 UTC 2004

Benjamin J. Weiss said:
>  - Olympus C-750 UltraZoom.  I couldn't get gtkam to initialize the
> camera, no matter what camera I selected.  The autoselect kept finding
> it  as a C-2040Z, which would have been fine if it could have
> initialized the  camera.  I suppose I'd have to use one of those card
> readers, but I don't  know if any of them read Olympus xD cards.  This
> one's a deal-killer for  my wife.  I'll have to dual boot if I can't get
> this one working.

your camera may not be PTP.  plug in your camera and then check out your
/etc/fstab (wiat about 4 seconds)... if there's a /mnt/camera option in
there now, then you're looking at a USB storage device, not a camera that
uses PTP.  you may be able to browse it just like a regular file system.

-d

+( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
+(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

Understatement of the century:
"Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
clones"
         - Linus Torvalds, August 1991