New low for Microsoft

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed May 5 17:40:32 UTC 2004

duncan brown wrote:
> Mike McMullen said:
>

>>Not completely true. I go to the local Fry's and buy an 800MHZ Celeron,
>>40GB HD with CD-R, 128MB, 100Mb NI for $199. No MS but something
>>called ThinLinux or something like that on it. I add more memory for
>>about  $20 and install RH or FC1 on it. Works likes a champ as a cheap
>>server  or workstation for our office.
>

> ok, so i did a google search for "fry's electronics", you should too...
> there's a disclaimer for lynx users in their frames, which google picks up
> on =]
>
> http://www.frys.com/localframe.html
>
> fry's is very regional.  sure, you can get cheap pcs from wal-mart with
> basically the same specs.  but they don't sell the $199 anymore, it's $299
> and up.
>
> it's hard to find any computers in normal stores without ms on it, or mail
> ordering from dell/gateway/whatever is impossible.  this is what typical
> people see, they don't go to fry's... they hit compusa, circuit city and
> best buy.
>
> ebay can get you great deals too on offices changing out their systems.
>

>>The keyboard actually isn't that bad but the speakers are tinny. In an
>>office audio isn't so important. The price doesn't include a monitor.
>

> you can get a 15" monitor for like 75 bucks now.  insane.
>
> -d
>
> +( duncan brown : duncanbrown at linuxadvocate.net )+
> +(  linux "just works" : www.linuxadvocate.net  )+

> Understatement of the century:
> "Hello everybody out there using minix - I'm doing
> a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be
> big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT
> clones"
>          - Linus Torvalds, August 1991

When I was getting quotes on a new computer, all quotes included the
cost of Windows XP as a seperate item, not as a package.  I didn't
have to get Windows if I didn't want it.  Of course I didn't get it as
it would have been a waste of money.

I do agree about places like Dell/etc being in Microsfts pocket (at
least on the desktop).  We have a Microsoft site licence and we still
cannot get computers without a pre-installed OS.  Part of Dells
warranty program I was told.  Oh well, I don't run Windows but FC1 at
work.

--
Robin Laing