Memory Leak? (repost)

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Thu May 6 00:29:51 UTC 2004

Yang Xiao wrote:

> [...]
<snip>

>I suppose cached/buffered memory are "free" because free gives the following
>output
>

>            total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
>Mem:           501        344        157          0        103        110
>-/+ buffers/cache:        130        371
>Swap:         1019          0       1019
>
>but still, what's using 130 MB of RAM ?

You have a lightly loaded machine.  No swap is being used at all and
100.0% isle cpu.   Buffers/cache are used to optimize the system and
linux will use ALL available memory before it uses swap. You still have
157MB ram unused.

Here is the output of free on my system
$ free
                         total       used       free     shared
buffers     cached
Mem:        513852     502644      11208          0     181972     183320
-/+ buffers/cache:     137352     376500
Swap:      1028152      91080     937072

I am running a lot of services and the system works well.
Don't worry about the amount of memory being used unless it becomes a
problem and the systrem noticeably slows down.

BTW, mine also is running at 100% cpu usage constantly