Old farts and new Linux

Jeff Ratliff jefrat at earthlink.net
Thu May 6 01:54:23 UTC 2004

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 11:11:05AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:

> Unforch Rodney Zacks left a couple of errors in that tome that you'll
> probably discover when you do your first or second assembly or
> machine code routine based on looking up the hex values in that book
> and entering them with the monitor.  Been there, done that.
>
> Rodney's stuff for other platforms was more accurate.

I seem to remember there where some important things in there that
didn't quite match up. Mine was actually misprinted and had one of the
later chapters printed twice. Whatever was in the missing chapter must
not have been that important.

It taught me binary and hex and basics of CPU architecture, though.
That Z-80 was a hot little chip. Too bad IBM went with Intel instead.
Imagine a Zylog based IBM PC running CPM-86 in 1981!

OK, I better shut up now.