Unable to play audio cds (selinux?)

Matthew East matthew.east at iue.it
Thu May 6 16:34:14 UTC 2004

I have a strange problem which I haven't been able to resolve by
searching the internet. I'm running FC 2 test 3, up to date as of today,
and I cannot play audio cds. I can mount cds fine, but when trying to
play an audio cd i get the error "disk error" from the gnome cd player.
And the following when trying cdp:

[matt at localhost matt]$ cdp
As root, please run

chmod 666 /dev/cdrom

to give yourself permission to access the CD-ROM device.

This command does not change things. In case they help, here are some
more information.

[matt at localhost matt]$ ls -l /dev/cdrom
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 8 Apr  9 13:21 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/hdc
[matt at localhost matt]$ ls -l /dev/hdc
brw-rw----  1 root disk 22, 0 Feb 23 22:02 /dev/hdc
[matt at localhost matt]$

I have recently set selinux as enforcing, and it is since that time that
audio cds have not played. I am not yet up to scratch on how selinux
works, so I hope that you will be able to help me!!!

many thanks, Matt