new FC1 install problems -- OLD Codger stories

Guy Fraser guy at incentre.net
Thu May 6 17:13:03 UTC 2004

dsavage at peaknet.net wrote:
...snip...

>I still have my first Vector Graphic MZ System B -- an S-100 bucket that
>came with a 4MHz Z-80A, 48K of dynamic RAM on a single card (!), dual
>16-hard-sector Micropolis floppy drives, and CP/M 1.4. On the front panel
>is a spiffy stick-on with a nautical rope border that says "The only
>difference between men and boys is the price of their toys." At $4,250 in
>1979, I should hope so. I also remember purchasing a D.C.Hayes
>Micromodem-100 110/300 baud card, subscribing to The Source, and reading
>the raw United Press wire stories about the Mount St. Helens eruption as
>it happened. Back then "virus" meant the flu and "trojan" was something
>you asked to speak to the male druggist about.

True that!

I bought my first 'computer' in 1980, it was a Tandy 100 pocket computer with 1.4 KB of ram and a had 4bit processor. It was programable in basic, and I made my own cassette tape drive for it.

I wrote my High Schools Truancy and Achievement program in basic on the new TRS-80 Model 3, I then moved to a different school. The next
computers I came across were Apple II computers with 16KB! of ram, they
were awesome, I thought you could do almost anything with them, then we
got an Apple IIe with an incredible 48KB of ram, you could run a word
processor with could you believe it a spelling checker. Before graduating
I bought the newest Sinclair Z80 with 64KB of RAM but it's power supply
died and I took it back for a refund. In college I learned Z80 and 8080 assembly, Basic and Pascal on the original IBM PC, and Became acquainted
with UNIX on a Daisy Logician Workstation running Computer Aided
Engineering Software {Each machine was worth over 30,000 dollars}. Since
then I have learned to program on numerous things from PDP8's to
PDP11's with toggle switches and ADM3a terminals up to current stuff. I first bought RedHat 4.2, but had been using Slackware since 1995.

And I am still half as old as some of the people who have responded.