Tool for recovering data from crashed HD

Ow Mun Heng ow.mun.heng at wdc.com
Fri May 7 03:04:35 UTC 2004

I'm actually afraid to stress the drive. It's already started to make
really loud noises.. (imagine 10 forks scratching on 1 ceramic plate)

I only managed to save like ~100MB of the files. The one main file
which needed to be copied was a 1.5G outlook pst file. So.. that
one's really gone.

Boss already sent it back to Compaq for warranty.

FYI - it's a Toshiba 80GB Drive for a Compaq nx1000 or nx7010 (I forget)
that's just boought a little over 2 months ago.

> Of course that doesn't answer why you can't boot, but if the hd is
> failing, you may be able to save the data.  Did you mean you can't
> boot from it or you can't mount or access it?  What boot errors do you
> get?

I think it really is failing. Each time it reads a bad/?? sector, kernel
message will spill out and telling, hda sect/bad or something. U know by
reading the message that it's really going down.